Monday, April 8, 2013

Physician Burnout - Are you feeling it?

by: Pavan Zaveri, MD (CNMC)

Good early week to you,
 
 
Especially after my overnight last night, this topic of burnout comes high on my radar. I read the article a few weeks ago, and it reminds me of all the things that CJ works on us to do and think about to keep the spirit alive. The attached article reviews a couple studies documenting the rate of physician burnout compared to other specialties and to other non-medical fields.

Highlight numbers: 65% of ED Physicians reported symptoms of burnout compared to 28% of nonphysicians; ED Physicians were ~3x more likely than average physician to develop burnout

Granted this was general EM physicians, but I’m sure the rates parallel some in PEM, especially a few concepts:
-          “fishbowl” atmosphere – literally and figuratively at UMC and even CNMC where everyone is watching what we’re doing as we decide in seconds what needs to be done with limited info
-          Burnout defined as engagement, emotions and fit
-          Patients come on the “worst day of their life,” not exactly bringing happiness to us (let alone after a 4-6 hour wait to say it’s a cold)

Anyhow, take a read….and then think about yourself….where are you?

From the remedies, recognition is key, and then discussing it, acknowledging it (aside from optimizing schedules).

Enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. Great topic, Pavan. Thanks for bringing it up. That part about patients associating the ER with "the worst day of their life" is great perspective that I do not always consider. It's easy to forget that while it's just another day at work for me, most people have gone through a lot before arriving in that exam room. It's hard to remember that even if families aren't immediately in a good mood despite my best efforts at empathy, compassion, and listening I should not be resentful or take it personally.

    I also looked for the Burnout self-test the article references and unfortunately, it's proprietary. But for perspective, here is a link to an unvalidated, online version:
    http://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/newTCS_08.htm

    Interestingly, I think that the ER automatically gives us high burnout scores on this scale.

    ReplyDelete

What's your opinion?