By Shilpa Patel
We are presented with the
case of a 10-month old male with Trisomy 21 who has had multiple episodes of
vomiting, some perhaps bilious, over the past 12 hours and a “loose” stool
prior to all of this - all of this with essentially a normal exam.
Differential
diagnosis: Early gastroenteritis,
intussusception, obstruction/malro with volvulus, incarcerated hernia,
testicular torsion, appendicitis (very unusual)
Management: I
agree with the comments (Dave, Paul and Asha) that the degree of dehydration is
difficult to ascertain in these children. I would consider a BMP, ETU (or a
longer observation period), UA and an abdominal XRays (including a lateral decub as was done).
The age and story
certainly make me worry about intussusception and I don’t know what to make of
the “alert..slightly tired” child on exam. It's 2 am and he is dehydrated or is it more than
that? The one view of the XR we are given has a questionable paucity of the
gas in the right upper quadrant surrounding an area that could be considered
the “soft tissue mass like structure” seen in intussusception. We also do not have another view to see if
this was present then and then persisted on the lateral decub view shown. As mentioned by Paul, I would discuss the XR with the radiologist and ask them to see if there was air in the ascending colon on both views as two views with air in the ascending colon may make me feel better about waiting on the US (PEC radiology reference).
I would also consider doing a hemoccult stool
(Kupperman and PEC Intussusception reference). If either
the hemoccult were positive, the child did not seem to be improving with fluids
or the radiologist was concerned. I would push for radiology to come in to do
an ultrasound of the abdomen to r/o intussusception overnight and consult surgery. If not, I would obs the
child overnight with continued PO trial and consider a sono in the morning if
he continued to vomit.
Though if we apply the criteria from the recent Pediatrics study with information we already have (Weihmiller et al, 2011) and call this a “questionably positive” AXR. This AXR with our patient not meeting other “low risk criteria” (age less than or equal to 5 mo, presence of diarrhea, absence of bililous emesis) make it difficult to exclude intussusception and we should get an ultrasound.
Regarding malrotation –
given that these children sometimes have the most benign presentation
(especially outside the newborn period) if the our infant with Trisomy 21 continued to vomit and the
am ultrasound was negative for intussusception I would admit and consider an
UGI.
No comments:
Post a Comment
What's your opinion?