Hot Seat Response
By Shilpa Patel
We are presented with the case of a 12 year-old female with
right calf swelling, limp and palpable mass on exam. The mass is described by
ultrasound as a “heterogeneous mass in deep muscle most consistent with clot”
and we have unremarkable labs except for elevated inflammatory markers.
Differential:
Vascular:
DVT – There is no
DVT on ultrasound. Although a lower
extremity ultrasound with Doppler flow generally has a decent sensitivity to
rule out DVT, calf veins are sometimes difficult to see and clots can be
missed. That being said, from the
information we have, we can say that our patient has a low pre-test probability
for DVT. She is 12, has no systemic
disease and no family history of clots.
She is not reported as being overweight or sedentary and we do not know
of any recent travel or surgery.
Additionally her calf is described as not being warm or erythematous.
There is no clinical evidence for compartment syndrome with normal pulses and the amount of swelling
described.
Infectious:
In general we would expect an exam with overlying erythema
or warmth with a leukocytosis and fever to go along with the elevated
inflammatory markers. With septic joint , I would expect painful ROM,
which is not reported. With osteomyelitis, after two weeks of
symptoms I would expect to see bony changes on plain radiographs. With an abscess
I would expect a different description by ultrasound. Myositis
should have an elevated CK.
Post traumatic:
Deep hematoma –
Our patient denies trauma though not sure how reliable that is. She could have
had minor trauma and bled into a hemangioma
or vascular mass. Though, I would expect these to improve,
especially given no underlying coagulopathy.
Lymphatic obstruction due to a “clot” in the muscle, could explain the
swelling. Myositis Ossificans is another consideration. It is a benign ossifying lesion in the muscle
that occurs after minor trauma. In it’s
early stages, calcifications may not be present and seen on the plain film and ultrasound
imaging can be variable. Additionally,
there may be an elevated ESR and it can be associated with extremity swelling.
Malignancy:
Two primary bone tumors in children, are Ewings and osteosarcoma, but are mostly ruled out by a normal radiograph. In
terms of a soft tissue tumor, we have rhabdomyosarcoma
or other sarcoma. These are sometimes associated with soft
tissue calcifications on plain
radiographs, which we don’t have in our patient. We also don’t have any sign of systemic
disease, weight loss, fever, or metastatic disease – respiratory symptoms or
bone marrow disease. It may be helpful
to have a size of the mass. I am not
sure if there is any evidence to support this, but would be more concerned with
a larger mass. Malignancy is a rare diagnosis, but would be my reason for the
MRI and ortho consult who may want to biopsy the mass. As this is something I would not want to
miss. I am uncertain of the significance
of the elevated ESR and CRP as these are nonspecific but they could be elevated
in malignancy.
Management:
I would feel comfortable sending this patient home with plan for an outpatient MRI but would start with an
orthopedics consult to get their level of concern regarding malignancy as the etiology of the mass. If their concern was high, I would admit for further imaging. Additionally, if the parents seemed
unreliable or follow-up was a concern, I may opt for admission for MRI. If not, I would discharge with a plan for outpatient MRI and would emphasis the need to return for
fever, increased pain or swelling, weakness, numbness or tingling or shortness
of breath. I would also call the PMD.
Kristen and I had a less complete but similar discussion about this case. Only other differential would be a bleeding disorder, but she had normal coags and von Willebrand disorder would likely have presented with menorrhagia by this age. Given the worsening symptoms, I wonder about an infection of the blood collection and would push for an MRI. The patient does not have a DVT so is not at risk for a PE. So she can be sent home, provided outpt MRI can be arranged. If not, it might be possible to have her stay the night for an MRI in the morning.
ReplyDelete