Thursday, August 16, 2012

Hot Seat #4 Denouement: RUQ Pain and Complex Cardiac History

The case
by Mel Tavarez
It is 4am on your overnight shift on the main campus, and a 17 y/o F with a complex cardiac history including HLHS s/p Norwood and extra-cardiac Fontan presents with 1 day of RUQ pain. She states the pain was initially intermittent and generalized, but after 3-4 hours became constant and localized to the RUQ; she describes it as pleuritic. She traveled to Florida 2 wks ago and has had non-bloody, loose stools. Remainder of ROS including fever, SOB, CP, N/V, dysuria, hematuria, vaginal discharge, anorexia, calf pain/swelling and sick contacts is negative.

Of note, she has a history of DVT 2 years prior after a hip fracture related to MVC. Her only medication is aspirin and there is a family history of gallstones.

Her triage VS include temperature 37.8C, HR 88, RR 20, BP 119/83, Sats 99% on RA in triage. When you see her, she is splinting and her sats are 94% and she says it hurts under her rib cage on the right side when she breathes. She has a III/VI holosystolic murmur and clear BS. She has localized RUQ TTP without guarding, but you do note a Murphy’s sign. Otherwise, her exam is normal. Specifically, there is no leg swelling or tenderness. 

Update: She has an initial chest x-ray that shows no lung pathology.

You plan to work the patient up with initial labs and imaging. 

Click Here to See Comments Posted on this Case 

The Teaching Attending Hot Seat Response
by Jo Cohen 
Well, there are a lot of leading questions towards PE here in the case presentation. To Sabah’s point about the confusing nature of complex congenital heart disease repair, I try to simplify it in my mind. This patient was born with single ventricle physiology and therefor that one single ventricle needs to be working on systemic circulation. Therefore, I can presume that this extra-cardiac Fontan , without even being able to visualize where in the body this conduit is, must involve some sort of passive pulmonary circulation, in which case this patient has a low flow system that predisposes her to thrombus formation and therefore PE. The fact that this patient has had DVTs in the past certainly doesn’t make me feel better.

The patient’s initial presentation, including normal trial VS and denial of SOB or CP, does not sound like a PE. Although she describes her pain as pleuritic, it localizes to the RUQ of the abdomen, not to the chest. However, you mention that on evaluation she is actually hypoxic and splinting. I think a screening D-dimer is warranted based on this, but I would not jump to a Chest CT yet. My understanding is that the D-dimer has a good negative predictive, but there are a lot of false positives. In this case, given the low pretest probability based on the history, if the patient had a negative D-dimer, I would forgo the CT scan. If the D-dimer was elevated, I would err on the side of caution and get the CT.

Having worked out in my mind how I would handle her workup of the thing most likely to kill her, I’d turn my attention to other likely things on my differential diagnosis. Cholelithiasis or cholecystitis would be unusual unless she was obese, but we can rule this out pretty quickly with the bedside ultrasound. I would check her LFTs as Dewesh mentioned and her T bili on the comprehensive panal will also help reassure us that she doesn’t have GB disease. If I remember correctly hyperbilirubinemia can also give you a false positive D-dimer so I would keep this in mind if her Tbili is elevated, her D-dimer is elevated and her CT chest was negative. Her LFTs will help us evaluate liver pathology. I would also take a sexual history. Hey, she’s a teenager. She could have Fitz Hugh Curtis or maybe she’s having a panic attack because she’s actually pregnant and by the way, pregnancy causes an elevated D-dimer too!
Basically, I would put her on some oxygen for comfort, give her some pain medication and order a CBC, CMP and D-dimer and go from there….


Your Polled Responses 
Would you include a D-Dimer in your initial orders?

Would you place this patient in ETU status and ultrasound in the morning?

Would you do a spiral CT now?

If you decided to send a d-dimer, the result is 1832 ng/mL; it is now 6am, would you do a spiral CT at this point? 
The Denouement
by Mel Tavarez

The patient’s HEADSS assessment was positive for SA with 1 male partner, no vaginal discharge or dysuria. Our initial plan was to send a CMP, CBC, UA, urine HCG and d-dimer given the patient’s past medical history and the pleuritic nature of her pain. We obtained a CXR after the d-dimer result which was negative on our read. Her CBC had a normal WBC with a left shift; electrolytes were normal; total bilirubin was slightly elevated at 1.2 with normal ALT, AST, and alkaline phosphatase. Her urine HCG was negative and her UA showed pyuria without nitrites. At the time of signout at 7am, the plan was to go ahead with an ultrasound since she was HDS and reassess need for further PE workup if the ultrasound was non-diagnostic.

Her ultrasound showed a thickened gallbladder without cholelithiasis or ductal dilatation and a sonographic Murphy sign. Her urine GC/CT were negative. She was admitted to GI service and received meropenem with a presumptive diagnosis of acalculous cholecystitis. Her PO intake improved and she was discharged within the next 24hrs on PO ciprofloxacin to have an elective cholecystectomy as an outpatient.

6 comments:

  1. Oh crud. What's an extra-cardiac fontan again? I furiously read her outpt cardiac notes, then look it up on uptodate, and finally scan some google images. then I tell the resident that I can't remember what an extra-cardiac fontan is and could she remind me? [send her on same wild-goose chase when she looks blank].

    Then go back in to ask a complete sexual history... Its a 17yr old, after all...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Besides considering PE (which is what the case is pointing you at), you should also consider "failing Fontan" and secondary congested ("nutmeg") liver -- given her older age, RUQ tenderness and recent h/o diarrhea. Thus, I'd start with LFTs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree this case is pointing to PE b/c of the questions .. and I would admit that I would not necessarily have had that as the first thing on my differential. Given that I am on my ultrasound month, I would FAST her (would try to get good look at gall bladder also) and definitely get LFTs, GGT, urinalysis, CBC. Am I wrong for thinking that there are a few steps we could undertake to elucidate the diagnosis before having to get radiology to do a spiral CT --- how hard is that to get in the middle of the night?? I've never had to get one .....oh ..and D-dimers just frustrate me .. I'll be honest, they never seem to be particularly helpful in the majority of our patients.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, there are a lot of leading questions towards PE here in the case presentation. To Sabah’s point about the confusing nature of complex congenital heart disease repair, I try to simplify it in my mind. This patient was born with single ventricle physiology and therefor that one single ventricle needs to be working on systemic circulation. Therefore, I can presume that this extra-cardiac Fontan , without even being able to visualize where in the body this conduit is, must involve some sort of passive pulmonary circulation, in which case this patient has a low flow system that predisposes her to thrombus formation and therefore PE. The fact that this patient has had DVTs in the past certainly doesn’t make me feel better.

    The patient’s initial presentation, including normal trial VS and denial of SOB or CP, does not sound like a PE. Although she describes her pain as pleuritic, it localizes to the RUQ of the abdomen, not to the chest. However, you mention that on evaluation she is actually hypoxic and splinting. I think a screening D-dimer is warranted based on this, but I would not jump to a Chest CT yet. My understanding is that the D-dimer has a good negative predictive, but there are a lot of false positives. In this case, given the low pretest probability based on the history, if the patient had a negative D-dimer, I would forgo the CT scan. If the D-dimer was elevated, I would err on the side of caution and get the CT.

    Having worked out in my mind how I would handle her workup of the thing most likely to kill her, I’d turn my attention to other likely things on my differential diagnosis. Cholelithiasis or cholecystitis would be unusual unless she was obese, but we can rule this out pretty quickly with the bedside ultrasound. I would check her LFTs as Dewesh mentioned and her T bili on the comprehensive panal will also help reassure us that she doesn’t have GB disease. If I remember correctly hyperbilirubinemia can also give you a false positive D-dimer so I would keep this in mind if her Tbili is elevated, her D-dimer is elevated and her CT chest was negative. Her LFTs will help us evaluate liver pathology. I would also take a sexual history. Hey, she’s a teenager. She could have Fitz Hugh Curtis or maybe she’s having a panic attack because she’s actually pregnant and by the way, pregnancy causes an elevated D-dimer too!
    Basically, I would put her on some oxygen for comfort, give her some pain medication and order a CBC, CMP and D-dimer and go from there….

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's interesting reading the leading questions as well as the responses, because to be honest PE is barely even on my differential. This girl is not tachycardic or tachypneic, and her exam is clearly pointing to the RUQ. Of all of the PEs I've seen, only a few every actually complain of true chest pain - most typically say "I'm more short of breath" or "something's not right" in the setting of tachycardia, tachypnea and hypoxia. It's why you don't need a PE protocol CT on every patient with "chest pain". Pleuritic chest pain can be seen, just not really in the the RUQ.

    That being said, I'd be thinking liver/gallbladder pathology. Nutmeg liver is a good thought given possible congestion from the Fontan, as is Fitz-Hugh-Curtis (as was pointed out, she IS 17 after all). Cholelithiasis, choledocolithiasis or cholecystitis are all on my differential as well. Given the pleuritic nature of the pain, a lower lobe effusion or consolidation would also be on the differential, but lower given no URI sx or fever.

    In terms of work up, I would not get a d-dimer. A D-dimer is a nonspecific marker of inflammation, and given that she feels terrible, has had diarrhea AND her baseline cardiac disease, her d-dimer will be elevated. In fact if it wasn't I'd wonder if it were lab error. So the + result doesn't help me. I would start with basic labs including LFTs, bili, CBC. I don't think a GGT adds much in this situation. A pelvic exam/STI labs based on history. I would also get a CXR and ECG (just to look for any change from her baseline), but what she really needs is a RUQ u/s in the AM...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to say I agree with everyone's previous comments as these thoughts definitely crossed my mind. I think gallbladder pathology is high on the differential with a positive Murphy's sign.

    It's possible that the Fontan is malfunctioning (i.e. perhaps it is clotting off and causing her abdominal pain from poor perfusion). I would let Cardiology know about her ASAP as they will likely want to do an echo to determine her function. I might do a portable echo at the bedside while waiting for them to come down.

    I would give her pain medication (probably morphine) and watch her closely - in virtual ETU - presumably room 18 near the nurses' station in case she decompensates.

    Just my 2 cents.

    ReplyDelete

What's your opinion?